Sunday, December 4, 2011

It's done. She's dead.

I watched the dark streaks circle the drain. The unicorn blood staining the tub on its way down the pipes. As the dye was setting I had already had regrets. It looked dark. As I rinsed it out I had a minor panic attack. There was no going back.

I got out of the shower and brushed through my hair. No red in sight. It was kind of exciting! Blowdrying it and styling it was the same, but a little different. I was getting ready for a Christmas party with my friends and was kind of anxious to hear what they thought. I knew what my family would think; my parents especially. They'd hate it.

Getting dressed was kind of odd too. What colors do brunette's wear? I know that it's hard for redheads to wear red, or yellow... no orange... pink is questionable depending on the shade. I texted my two closest friends and they told me I could wear any of those colors. YES! Unplanned benefit! So I dug into the back of my closet and pulled out a very rarely worn red shirt.

As I walked through the door of the hostess's house, my friends all seemed surprised and positive. It kind of made me smile to see how surprised they were. I admit that I like the attention of a good surprise. There was a bit of mixed reaction. Lots of them liked the brown but some admitted they like the red better. Overall a good response, which I kind of expected. After all, these are my friends we're talking about... supportive.

I also posted a Facebook picture. It got a pretty mixed response. My parents and close relatives all like the red better. My dad was disappointed. He said he liked the color he "made for me on my birthday" better. 

I went to a holiday party with my co-workers on Sunday. Most of them liked the red better. One of my bosses (who's currently going through his own transformation in the form of weight loss) told me he barely recognized  me. I told him DITTO (as he's already almost 30lbs lighter)!

I must say that I felt sassier the last couple days. More mysterious. More fun. I did discover that black no longer looks good on me. Note to self: Buy more colorful clothes!

Without further ado... here's the brown hair. Pardon the faces I make in any photos I post... I have a special talent for awkwardness on camera.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Joy! You are darling. Of course I prefer red (well, orange really), but you are fabulous in any shade. Your post had me giggling because I can relate to your hair identity crisis so well. My family (especially Daddy) would haveme as no other then RED. Over the years I've kicked up my red to fire engine status, done all shades from hot pink to burgundy, platinum blond, black bangs, etc but NEVER had the guts to go brown. Somehow being a natural flamer makes you used to being "special" and I admit brunette seems...well, normal. But to take that plunge from flame to tame is, I imagine, actually quite exotic.
    Enjoy your dark side but know your still glowing because you have an inner spark. AND FIRERY ROOTS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your freckles look with brown hair - very English, actually! They call that kind of complexion "English Rose". And how great that you can wear red in time for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I love it! I don't think any color could take the joyness out of you. :)

    ReplyDelete