Friday, December 2, 2011

The Murderous Plot

I've already set the plan in motion. It's too late to turn back now. I bought the supplies. Tomorrow I kill the unicorn. My mom will be mad. I've been thinking about it for months so I guess that makes it premeditated. I think I'll make a good brunette.

A lady in a bar once told me that my red hair was magical like a unicorn. I suppose she had a point (and likely a good buzz) because redheads are rare. Maybe not quite to the point of mythical status, but I certainly took it as a compliment.

She wasn't the first to compare my hair with a unicorn. I once informed my mother that I wanted to dye it brown and her response was, "Why would you want to kill a unicorn?" Okay, I get it. I'm an endangered species. There will continue to be fewer and fewer redheads over time until eventually we are extinct. Why would I dye my hair brown and help to speed up the process?

The answer is this: Being a redhead can be hard! There are a lot of not-so-nice nicknames that go along with my fiery tuft of a mane. I'm sure I don't have to spell them out. I've also noticed that no other hair color polarizes people quite like red. No one is wishy washy about red hair. Either you love it or you hate it. I seem to find many more that hate it.

So here's the plan. I'm going to dye my hair brown tomorrow. My murderous plot against my unicorn will commence. I'm going to keep it that way for a year (or as long as I can stand to hear my mom complain about it). Then I'm going to blog about my new life as a brunette. I'll tell you all the reasons why I have such a love/hate relationship with my hair and if I feel like people treat me any differently.

To kick this baby off, lets start with a before picture. This one is from last year, when my glorious locks were a bit longer, likely generating a crimson glow that could be seen from outer space.

9 comments:

  1. You have red hair? Just kidding, good luck with the social experiment. Just remember the niners are red and gold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what kind of social freedom or expectation change you'll experience? I know for me, dying my hair red was a statement like, "Yes, I'm the Weasley's mom, loving, frazzled, and in total control." Dying my hair red made me feel like it was ok to be myself... strangely enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so true that hair color just makes you different...when I dye mine brown I'm sexier and much more serious while as a blonde I'm more bubbly and "me". I also get hit on more as a blonde. Good luck as a brunette! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see you hair! I never knew many redheads but now my world is full of them. My husband, two brother in laws and soon to be sister in law. My influx of the gingers I think is statistically high. I must admit though that I am a little upset that after two kids with a redhead I didn't get a Tom sawyer or an Annie. Well good luck. I should dye my hair to red again but I'd just be a horse with a horn taped to my head. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I just start by saying, I LOVE RED HAIR (on other people). My dad is a red head. He prefers it be referred to as "auburn," and it's possible that my hair may not naturally be blonde. Unfortunately, it's also not as pretty red as yours. I have hair that seems to be somewhere in between red, blonde and brown. It would be a pretty color on a sweater or a couch but I think it makes me invisible because as soon as the highlights go in, people seem to see me again. I mean it. Cars stop running over my feet and doors stop slamming in my face. It just gives you one less thing to worry about, sadly. If you want to re-emerge someday, sign me up for the revolution! I could use the extra $150 I spend on highlights for something else!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is why I love you. :)

    And Cory, I had no idea....

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let me just say that I love your red hair. It could be that I'm a wee bit envious of it. My momma's a "red head" and my precious nephew is a "ginger".. Somehow it skipped my generation. I'm excited to follow your little blog and hear about the differences you experience. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Change is good Beauty! However, My wager is that after a year you will miss your beautiful red hair and the part of yourself that was associated with it. I cant wait to see the brunette picture though! I am guessing you will be equally stunning. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You could shave your head and I'd still love you. Do whatever you want. It's your hair! Lord knows mine has been every color in the book.

    ReplyDelete